TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

5 QUESTIONS WITH: Briana from PREVENTABLE


Nothing beats the Monday blues for me quite like posting a new 5 QUESTIONS WITH. I always come away from them feeling so inspired by our ever-growing skin community along with the strengthening of my belief that absolutely anything is possible. This week I'm featuring someone who probably doesn't need much of an introduction, Briana. I first came across her story last year via her wonderful YouTube videos (here) that sum up everything I felt through my own withdrawal yet manage to retain a humour that is so vital for recovery. Even though she isn't fully healed yet, she looks pretty damn great and I've been 'itching' (forgive me) to talk about her project, PREVENTABLE. PREVENTABLE: Protecting Our Largest Organ will be the first ever documentary to shed light on the overprescription of topical steroids with the hope of spreading awareness and educating others on their effects. As someone who is deeply passionate about spreading awareness for topical steroid addiction and the dangers of topical steroids, I couldn't be more excited about this. To donate to her wonderful project click (here).

Together, we have a real chance to make a difference so without further ado, I'll hand it over to Briana:

1) Tell us a little bit about yourself and your skin journey.
My name is Briana Banos, but most know me as Briana Wren. I have been withdrawing from all steroids since January 25th, 2015. 

I had used over the counter hydrocortisone throughout life when I needed it, as well as a steroid oil when I was younger (but my mother doesn’t remember the name). The only time I ever used orals was when I started showing signs of Topical Steroid Addiction but had no idea what it was (December/January 2015).

Once I started working on cruise ships in 2011 as a performer, my skin went crazy and instead of figuring out what was wrong with me, my dermatologist threw the kitchen sink at me: an oral antibiotic, an oral antifungal, a topical anti-fungal, Protopic (an immunosuppressant topical), and a class 6 Topical Steroid. I was on and off these drugs for 3.5 years. 

When I stopped using steroids in January 2015, I was already showing signs of Topical Steroid Addiction, which is why I chose to stop. It started on my back, stomach and wrists and quickly spread over my entire body. I was covered by the end of month one, including swollen eyes which lasted for about a month. I went through the cycle of extreme redness, ooze, heavy flaking, intense itch, and sadly hair loss (amongst many other symptoms like blurry vision, skin infections, insomnia, and terrible body temperature regulation). Strictly skin wise, it was so draining from month 1 to month 10. I tried Moisture Withdrawal month 7 and it did not help me. If anything, it was the worst thing I could have tried. I was literally a human scab.

Come month 10, my skin seemed to be taking a break, but unfortunately, once month 11 hit, I had a massive flare that landed me in the hospital. It took me about 2-3 months to recover from that. It sent me right back to the beginning, but I bounced back faster than the first original onset. 

Right now, at 22 months, I am still battling certain areas, but I no longer have to take baths, which I heavily relied on from Month 1- Month 20.

I am still unable to sweat profusely or work out hard. I miss it since I was a performer before I became ill. I hope one day soon I’ll be able to get back into what I love doing. 

2) How did you find out about TSW?
Thank Google! And ITSAN, the International Topical Steroid Addiction Network. Google led me to their site. I can’t even remember what I typed in for it. I believe it was something along the lines of “severe eczema.” At first, I was in denial, but deep down, I knew. I saw some posts and videos from Laura Stageman and was convinced. 

3) Have you found anything that has aided your healing?
Honestly, I don’t know if anything has helped me heal (in the sense of being the solution to this problem), but I heavily relied on Epsom salt baths and different oils in the beginning (like grapeseed, avocado, sunflower). I LOVE Viscopaste and zinc cream, preferably Sudocrem. I lived in extra comfy, big clothes. Taking an antihistamine and anti-anxiety before bed helped with the insomnia. I definitely tried to stay away from lots of sugary foods, but couldn’t help it sometimes. About 2 months ago I started getting my nails done (acrylic) to help with the scratching: they do less damage than regular nails. I also really like Egyptian Magic now and Vaniply. 

4) Sum up TSW in five words.
Extreme suffering that is preventable.

5) What positives, if any, have you found from going through TSW?
I never knew what strength resided in my spirit. This condition literally forces you to dig deep and search for every ounce of tenacity in your bones. You want to give up, on so many levels, but you don’t. You keep fighting and it’s crazy to see how strong you can be through it all. Also, I have been fed a huge spoonful of humility. It’s opened my eyes to what really matters. And lastly, it’s shown me who I can truly count on, the people who will be there through the rough of it with love and encouragement.



Links to her websites and social media:
www.brwren.com
www.preventabledoc.com

Youtube
Briana Banos

Instagram
Preventable_doc
Blackvelvetink

Twitter
@Preventable_doc
@Bri_Wren

Thank you so much Briana and I wish you the best of luck with PREVENTABLE <3


Links to my previous 5 QUESTIONS WITH:
Henni @rawsomesoul (here)
Alice @healthy_healer (here)
Maleeha @TSWHealed (here)
Nina Sloan (here)
Nick @Eczemacism (here)
Stephanie & Isaiah Quinn (here)
Stephanie @TheItchyConundrum (here)
Josh @Redskinrecoverydiary (here)

Sending you all love & healing <3
Cara xxxx

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara