TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

5 QUESTIONS WITH: Gillian Breslin


When I did an Instagram stories poll recently asking for feedback about what you'd all like to see when I relaunched this blog, a very high percentage (about 97%) of you voted in favour of me bringing back my '5 QUESTIONS WITH' series. I even had some messages explaining exactly why it needed to come back and I can't tell you how happy that makes me as I absolutely love working on these posts and highlighting some of the incredible members of our ever-growing community, so it brings me great pleasure to welcome Gillian to my blog. I have known of Gillian's story for a while and was over the moon when I read she had made a full recovery from TSA. She looks absolutely incredible now and even has her own skin-related YouTube channel (here) so without further ado, I'll hand it over to Gillian:

Gillian during withdrawal.
1) Tell us a little bit about yourself and your skin journey.
I am a 24 year old girl that was born in Scotland. I was born with eczema (or sensitive skin) and my mum was prescribed hydrocortisone when I was a baby. I was then prescribed fucibet as hydrocortisone was no longer strong enough - I remember my mum applying this all over when I was a toddler. My skin was constantly inflammed and infected so antibiotics were always being prescribed along with moisturiser. I remember scratching all night and genuinely believe that this took a toll on my education as I was tired and agitated during my school years. The doctor would constantly refuse to take out an allergy test. I used steroid creams that were prescribed to me daily from my teenage years. When I hit the age of 22, they stopped working and had no other choice but to withdraw. 

2) How did you find out about TSW?
My symptoms were getting worse and as I wasn't getting answers from my doctor, I turned to the internet. I would spend hours searching online and trying expensive remedies then tried turning vegan. None of this helped. I stumbled upon ITSAN.ORG and my symptoms ticked all the boxes. Telling my friends, family and doctors about this was hard as they all failed to believe it was the steroids that caused my symptoms. Eventually after having enough proof to show them, my friends and family started to believe in TSW.


3) Did you find that anything aided your healing?
I literally tried everything. I would spend up to 8 hours in the bath in salted water to provide comfort. I would go days without any sleep. Tried all the elimination diets and found that cutting out caffeine and refined sugar helped. I was then admitted into hospital with multiple infections and I had problems breathing. I was put on morphine, was given baths daily and was wrapped in zinc and ichthammol bandages which were able to provide some comfort. I was then put on sleeping medications, mood enhancers, co-codamol 30/500, oral MRSA anti-biotics and IV MRSA antibiotics, 3 different types of anti-histamines and diazepam. (Only some of the medications I was on but the most effective). I discharged myself from hospital and slowly started to get better with the help of Zinc + Ichtammol cream mixed with 50:50 cream. I am no longer on any medication, I only use the creams.

Gillian NOW looking absolutely amazing!
4) Sum up TSW in five words.
Heartbreaking, debilitating, torture, devastating but strengthening.

5) What positives, if any, have you found from going through TSW?
It will break you down, you will hit rock bottom but it makes you stronger than ever. I have gained so much knowledge from TSW. I have realised that there are major flaws in the healthcare system and we need to stick together and fight for a massive review and re-education on Topical Steroids.


Gillian has a wonderful YouTube channel which can be found here and for her Instagram, click here.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me <3

If there is anyone you'd like me to interview who inspires you within our community, please get in touch.

Links to my previous 5 QUESTIONS WITH:
Henni @rawsomesoul (here)
Alice @healthy_healer (here)
Maleeha @TSWHealed (here)
Nina Sloan (here)
Nick @Eczemacism (here)
Stephanie & Isaiah Quinn (here)
Stephanie @TheItchyConundrum (here)
Josh @Redskinrecoverydiary (here)
Briana @PREVENTABLE (here)
Melanie Lynch (here)
Stephanie Miller (here)
Holly Dillon @GetYourSkinOut (here)
Me (here)
Keisha Gregson (here)
Douglas Maddy & Charlie (here)

Much love,
Cara x
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara