TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

5 QUESTIONS WITH: Melanie Lynch


It's Monday morning so that means it's time for another 5 QUESTIONS WITH. This week's interview features Melanie, who in my opinion has had one of the most incredible transformations I've ever seen within our ever-growing (fabulous) skin community. My symptoms were bad, and I suffered greatly, but nothing compared to Melanie and I can only commend her on her extraordinary strength of will to persevere through it all. I hope it will also make you feel that truly anything is possible and that you will get through it. The first question is answered from information I was given and edited by myself.

I'm still a little stunned and to be honest, completely in awe of her so before I go too far and get all gushy again, I'll hand it over to Melanie:

1) Tell us a little bit about yourself and your skin journey.
Melanie Lynch, 37, is a primary school teacher from Birmingham who was first prescribed topical steroid creams as a toddler to treat eczema on the backs of her knees and elbows, but over the next thirty years, her eczema got worse and as a result she was prescribed more potent steroids that she eventually had to use over her entire body. At her worst, Melanie was using a 100g tube of steroid cream every week on top of oral steroids but nothing seemed to relieve her symptoms which included dry skin and a reddened face. Fed up, as nothing seemed to be working, Melaine decided to quit using all topical steroids in 2013 but straight away, she had a terrible reaction. Her face swelled, her hair fell out and her skin turned bright red and was oozing badly followed by excessive amounts of dry, flaking skin - not to mention the months of sleepless nights. 

At times her symptoms were so severe it rendered her housebound for months on end and there were even periods where she would spend all day, and sometimes nights, in the bath in an attempt to get some relief from the agony she was going through. She says 'The whole thing was a living hell and the worst thing I've ever had to do ... I had to sweep around me like it was dust, I would change my bedsheets and pyjamas multiple times a day ... About 95 percent of my skin looked like it had been burned, I couldn't put clothes or even a blanket on because it was so sore. After that it would go very dry and flake everywhere, then it would repeat that cycle over and over for three years.'

She adds, 'In the beginning, I only thought it would take a year for me to overcome this, I never imagined three years later I'd still be battling it ... Thankfully this year has been a lot better, my skin is so much better than it was, I'm finally able to start living a normal life again ... It's definitely a terrible time but worth it now. My skin is stronger, it feels healthier and it's not damaged like it was before ... My skin finally feels smooth, like it never has felt before and is definitely healing.'

2) How did you find out about TSW?
I found out about TSW when I was searching the internet for damage steroids can do after my GP told me I needed to think about coming off them. Then I found ITSAN. On their homepage was a video and that was my lightbulb moment. It described all of my symptoms and I just thought - I've got TSA!!

3) Did you find that anything aided your healing?
The only things that helped me were - salt water baths, Sudocrem, moisturiser, sleep, anti histamines, pain killers.

4) Sum up TSW in five words.
Hell!! Preventable (Briana!!!!), Painful, Horrific, Life-changer.

5) What positives, if any, have you found from going through TSW?
Appreciating the small things - after being housebound for so long, I appreciate simple things like the school run and going to the shops. I value my health more. I vaue time with my children more. I appreciate my husband and my mom for everything they have done for me through this journey. My skin has changed over the last year. Parts of me are completely healed - my legs are amazing - the best they have ever been in my whole life. My skin feels stronger and smoother than ever - I am healing!


Thank you so much Melanie, you are amazing <3

Links to my previous 5 QUESTIONS WITH:
Henni @rawsomesoul (here)
Alice @healthy_healer (here)
Maleeha @TSWHealed (here)
Nina Sloan (here)
Nick @Eczemacism (here)
Stephanie & Isaiah Quinn (here)
Stephanie @TheItchyConundrum (here)
Josh @Redskinrecoverydiary (here)
Briana @PREVENTABLE (here)

Much love to you all,
Cara xxxx

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara